Here is our music video.

Here is the outside panel of my digipak album cover.

Here is the inside panel of my digipak album cover.

Here is the inside panel of my digipak album cover.

Here is a link to my artist's website. Please click on the image below to enter the website.

Friday 23 June 2017

Evaluation Q1: Did you enjoy the main workshop day? What role(s) did you take? What were your best bits and why?

This term, I participated in the A2 prelim task, where we produced a remake of a popular music video. We chose the music video for the song 'Cool Kids' by Echosmith.

The original music video


I thoroughly enjoyed the main workshop day. It was genuinely thrilling to have been able to work on such a high quality set alongside professionals camera operators, directors, performance coaches, make up artists, hair stylists and runners who have all worked in the media industry. Talking with some of the runners during the day, they told us that the facilities available at our college topped those found in some universities, which made me feel extremely privileged to have had the opportunity to make this music video remake.

Our dressed set in the Seward Studio
My main role on the day was as a performer.

Me performing on camera 


Prior to the workshop day, I was cast as Noah, the bass guitarist in the American indie pop band Echosmith.

Noah Sierota 
I found performing as Noah extremely enjoyable. On an educational level, it was really interesting top learn the techniques our performance director Jasmine used to get the right emotions and movements out of us, whilst still making everything seem natural. For example, for a shot where Noah turns away smiling, Jasmine got the action out of me by handing me a joke on a slip of paper. This made my reaction of laughter look genuine, which really translated on camera.

Outside of education, however, playing Noah was a lot of fun. In the music video, Noah does a lot of quirky moves, such as jumping around and pushing his shoulders forward to the music whilst he plays his bass. Before the workshop day, every member of the band was given an opportunity to rehearse some of their signature moves - this made it a lot more natural on the workshop day to play around with the band member's unique characteristics. To perform a full take of the track pretending to play bass like a rock star was unashamedly entertaining.

Some moments with me pretending to rock on the guitar

I also took on some other roles throughout the day. I used the clapperboard to mark a few shots, which was an interesting job to have as it meant I could observe and participate in the standard dialogue that happens right before a shot is taken. For example, I learnt my cue to bring in the clapperboard was when Robin (our camera operator) said "Board in" and then I said the name of the shot after "Mark it". Having only used clapperboards in our AS tasks, where we didn't go through such stringent measures, it was a good opportunity for me to use them in an industry standard environment.

Me using the clapperboard to mark a shot
Furthermore, I helped transport pieces of the set on and off with the runners, such as the lockers. This gave me an insight into what its like being a runner, and from talking to many people throughout the week, this will likely prove important experience as many film makers start out as runners and stylists when they first enter the industry.

The lockers were transportable by wheeled platforms, and needed a couple of people to help keep them stable when they were being transported

Here is Sayo and Tom helping transport the lockers on to the set

My favourite moments of the day were:
  • Performing in the big band sequences.


  • Shadowing Dom and seeing what his job as a director involves: verifying shots, working closely with the cinematographer and performance director. 

Dom (centre), our director, discussing framing with Robin (left), our cinematographer and camera operator
  • Overseeing Robin using the camera and seeing it's functions.
We got to shadow Robin whilst he was filming and had opportunities to talk to him about how this camera worked
  • Getting my make-up and hair done by Lou and Roz, who were lovely to talk to; I enjoyed Lou telling me how she got to where she is doing hair and make-up for television and film.
Lou and Roz putting on makeup for Noa and Aisha - we had  a hair and makeup station  just left of the set. 
Me getting a touch up on my makeup and hair from the lovely makeup lady, Lou

Overall, I found the workshop day to be an incredibly immersive and entertaining experience. Initially, I was intimidated by the prospect of working on an industry standard set alongside professionals. But having completed the workshop, my mind was put at rest by the camaraderie felt by ever member; it was clear what everyone's role was and I never once felt like I was confused as to what I should be doing or where I should be. It was a very valuable experience!

A timelapse of the entire shoot day

No comments:

Post a Comment